Angelina Jolie and Breast Cancer

By October 3, 2017new
Anglena Jolie

Having cancer has been a health concern in my family. I thought I was healthy as a former fit military combat veteran, fitness instructor, and vegetarian… That said, nature ran over nurture.

When we face this type of situations, we have options as the typical stress-response of either freeze, flee, or fight it. Well, as a behaviorist, I choose to…fight it!Β More than 249,000 people in the United States are diagnosed with invasive breast cancer every year, and nearly 41,000 die from this disease!

I found it during a mommy-daughter buying clothes bonding time… So I say that my daughter saved my life as my sister’s dog saved hers!

Coping started from when I got the news last week and it will continue after I get rid of it… although I understand that we don’t ever “get rid of it” per se. In fact, we all have cancer cells…. so I suggest for everyone to get continuously checked!

Interesting how many people were more concerned about me removing my breast and the size of the potential implants… than about the cancer itself! I will decide to get the breast reconstruction later on, as I don’t need that part to go on living. Angelina Jolie did what she thought it was best for her and her family. That is a choice we make when we have breast. I am sure that she did not undergo my same painful surgery to update her breast size but to prevent having to do it later on.

For what it is worth, having a healthy support group is priceless. We must also be there for the significant others affected by our health. The world won’t stop turning around… so we must just get up, smile, and move on. At least, that is what I am planning to do!

Thoughts?

Join the discussion 12 Comments

• Barbara G. Melamed says:

Count me in as part of your healthy support fgroup
    Blog to my kid who is being radiated as I write this

• Yes, I need more avenues to share not only about “How to prevent cancer…” but on, oops! I was doing all that… but just got it… now what?

Send your kid to talk to me when he can. Blessings your way.

• Phyllis says:

Very well said and your perspective is insipiring! All the best. Keep writing!

• Cynthia Bartlett says:

Love this. I see you as a spirited warrior. Can’t wait to work with you on teaching women

• Hola Cynthia! The “good” thing about having cancer is that I can’t longer be a work-aholic. My health requires more time sitting/ reflecting. Therefore, I can reach out to others that care about what I want to share. In fact, I am trying to put together a talk about empowerment and moving forward– no obstacle is big enough to stop us. If we are still alive, we have a mission. When confused or in doubt, I remember my saint-mami reciting the Serenity Prayer: “God (Allah, Spirit, someone bigger than us…) grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. πŸ™‚

• Helenna says:

Melba: Sharing of your story will help those with and without cancer. It is inspiring to see your genuine spirit. Heal and fight on! -Helenna

• Thank you Dr. Helenna. As women, we should not compete but help each other… we are already a minority in this world and information is power. Some people have told me not to share my story. I disagree. My intent is not to be pitied, too old to need of recognition, been there, done that in the ARMY. I actually would like to help others realize that is an awful situation but doable. I learned from my sis and my mom and will help others with info, as much as possible. God bless.

• Marisol says:

Loved it! Proud of you! Keep fighting πŸ’ͺ🏻πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸŽ—πŸ‘

• Will Kokolus Ph. D. says:

Melba, Your courageousness in the present predicament is greatly admirable…a lifelong trait. An honor to know you as a colleague and fellow veteran. Look forward to your unquenchable professional encouragement. Thanks for being a friend, Melba!